madamemodiste: (Default)
Oh! I never posted finished photos of the Elizabethan!

madamemodiste: (Default)
Yesterday I got the cartridge pleating done - successfully. Then today I got the cartridge pleated overskirt sewn to the waistband of the underskirt - successfully. Ugh, finally I got something right!

YAY!!

So next is sewing down the bodice and sleeve trim, hem the sleeves, hem the skirts, and it's done.

DONE.
madamemodiste: (Default)
As I'm a lazy, non-period accurate costumer, I was happy to take some advice regarding cartridge pleating the overskirt on my Elizabethan. Decorator's pleating tape! It doesn't give as clean a result as hand cartridge pleating, but I have a feeling it saved me some time (which I have very little left to finish this thing). So here's a shot of the dress in it's current state. I'm still fiddling with the trim.



The overskirt obviously isn't sewn to the underskirt yet, but it's an idea of how things will look in the end.
madamemodiste: (Default)
I want to apologize for the lack of progress photos. By the time I take photos, upload them to the computer, adjust the size and color, then upload them to the server so I can post them online...a half hour has gone by. These days I need every minute I can get!

Anyway...next time I plant to make something large in velvet, please point to this series of posts, and say, "For the love of sewing, Kat, don't do it!" I just don't have a knack for working with the stuff.


In Which I Botch It All Up:

OK, so last we left off I had gotten the sleeves made and set. Good. Next...overskirt! So I cut all this out weeks ago, so I pull the pieces back out and get to work. Oh -I may or may not have posted about how I somehow cut the front pieces so the nap was not going in the same direction for both? Yeah, I had to cut a new right front piece. OK, done. So now I have to sew this small triangle piece to the front at the lower CB to make it a square. Not sure why they don't have you cut it that way to begin with, but that's a complaint for another day. So I put them in, and the next step is to sew the fronts to the backs. Except I forgot about the back pieces. Like...*poof* I stupidly sewed the two fronts together. I didn't realize until I got to the cartridge pleating instructions and it said to cut a piece of gingham 122" long. 122"?? My overskirt isn't 122"! Then I vaguely remembered cutting out two large pieces of velvet 48 3/4" x 43 1/4" several weeks ago...then the image of me going, "Wow, look at this large piece of velvet. What's this doing here? Huh, well, I'll use it to cut out the sleeve poufs!" Then I cut two left poufs instead of a right and a left and had to cut another one. Yeah, I accidentally used one of the back panels to do the sleeve poufs.

*sigh*

So I cut new back panels and TRY to get them so the nap matches the front pieces, but I was only successful on the right side. At this point, I don't care anymore and go to bed.

Next: cartridge pleating *OR* In Which Kat Loses Her Mind
madamemodiste: (Default)
The other week I got the other half of the bodice made, and put in the two piece grommets. Yay!

School once again takes up most of my time, but I got a teeny bit done this week. I sewed on the hooks and eyes on the front of the bodice (28 in all). That took forever! Then last night I found more of the black cotton velvet lurking in my stash and was able to re-cut the right overskirt panel, so now both sides nap are going in the same direction. I then got the green "lower" sleeve cut out before I was summoned by Mr. S to go watch Dexter.

So much left to do and only two weeks to do it! I'd really better get a lot done tonight because tomorrow is the Germantown Revolutionary War festival (and the only day we're expecting sunshine this week or next! All other days it's rained/expected to rain) as well as one of my best friend's birthdays. I'm really excited to play 18th century with [livejournal.com profile] blackcat452 and [livejournal.com profile] past_blue! I even went out and got a new long length 3/4 wig so I can pretend I have long hair so I can style it like I used to.

I really got inspired by a dress I saw in a book titled "Black in Fashion" that I saw at the Met over the summer. Didn't have the cash to pick it up, sadly. It's a book that follows the popularity of black clothing for whatever occasion in the modern age (I think it starts with the 19th century). Anyway, it's got me itching to get back to sewing for the Victorian era.

So that's it for now!
madamemodiste: (Default)
I usually don't refer to my historical garments as 'costumes' unless I know they are particularly off the mark. This is one of those cases!! I know that the skirt, overskirt, and bodice are mostly fantasy and not even cut or sewn in a remotely period fashion and the fabrics don't even come close.

It's the Ren Faire and I don't care.

Now that that's out of the way, we can move on!

I plan on attending the PA Ren Faire on Saturday (Anyone going?? Wanna go?), so I took out my things to see what I wanted to wear. It's supposed to be 77 degrees and sunny, so I went with an outfit based on the white cotton partlet blouse I had custom made last year by the Very Merry Seamstress.

I added some new ribbon trim to a purple over skirt I had made last year. Here I am sewing black velvet ribbon to the sides of the 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon I had just added:



Here's a detail shot:



And for fun I stuck it all on the slightly crooked mannequin:



So it's not a huge change, but a little detail that I hope gives the outfit a little more oomph.

Profile

madamemodiste: (Default)
madamemodiste

August 2011

S M T W T F S
 1 23456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 19th, 2017 03:30 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios