Last month I started an 1890's walking suit. If you forget, GO HERE
to see the entry complete with pattern and fabrics. I've made a change to the fabrics, though. Instead of doing the lapels and collar facing in black satin taffeta, I'm doing it in black cotton velveteen.
I finished the skirt a few weeks ago, but turns out I hemmed it on the wrong height setting on my mannequin, and it was too long. Doh! So today I fixed that. I am the WORST hemmer in the world, so please, I beg you, ignore the hem when I post photos. It's really bad. One of the reasons I don't do commissions! I also started adding a strip of polyester horsehair braid to the hem so it would sit right. I ran out before I finished, so that will have to wait.
Over the past few weeks I have been slooowly cutting out the pieces to the bodice. Some I had to cut 6 of, so this has been taking a while as I lose interest in cutting very easily. For my own reference, I'm going to list what I got done.Sunday
: Finished cutting out lining, made markings, made double layer interlining with boning (where applicable), flatlined to fashion fabric, sewed all bengaline bodice pieces together, pinned and sewed on black velvet ribbon trim. Movie in DVD player: Middlemarch
: Sewed together jacket hem facing and attached to jacket, flatlined sleeve pieces, sewed together, turned under for hem (hand sewn), and made sleeve vent (slightly incorrectly, but it works/ also hand sewn). Fixed skirt hem and began pinning on horsehair braid. Movie in DVD player: The Way We Live Now